Monday, October 09, 2006

picture time!

I do not have a camera right now, and may not get one for a while. But I am providing some pictures other people have taken.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Before the chinese moon festival (mid-autumn festival), mooncakes were being sold everywhere. The day (this year it was on the 6th) is an occasion for families to get together, watch the moon, have a reunion.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is a food stand on the street. I was hanging out with two tourists that I met, an Israeli girl (student) and a Vietnamese-Canadian man. Can you pick me out? Haha.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is picture of me with a stupid expression. I had just eaten a meat stick, I think.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is cuihu, green lake. It's near a few of the universities, and is a really cool place to hang out. It's easy to get lost in, and there's always some activity going on.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Just a picture of some of the above-said activity going on in cuihu.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
On the day we were there, there was a stage and some kind of show being put on. The stage host called up some suaige, young handsome men, to participate in a contest. The contest turned out to be watching some sexy young woman dance scandalously and having each man imitate her.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A close-up of the girl... to re-state, it is not me with the camera!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I felt a craving for choudoufu - stinky tofu.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Writing peoples' names. They do this in New York, too.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is the woman who sold us some street food. At the moment, I can't recall what chinese minority she's supposed to me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is me making another stupid expression. We're eating some tofu-based food.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The other two thought this kid was adorable, so they took her picture.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here is the three of us after our mini-tour of Kunming!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is my "family." The second from left is my guma - she's my grandmother's best friend's daughter. Her husband is to her right, and their son is on the other end. His wife is next to him (I think she looks like a Chinese version of the woman in Being John Malkovitch and 40 Year Old Virgin), and their younger daughter is there, as well. We all hung out on Moon Festival night, and the son and daughter-in-law invited me to their (very swanky) apartment afterwards. I feel really fortunate to have some "family" in this city.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictured tofu dish looks delicious. And so do you!!!

There are probably things you can do to minimize the pictures in your post so they fit in the text area. Try reducing the width and height.

Hope you're well. I'm watching you occasionally.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see your new blog,which make me miss Kunming so much!!

The woman in the beautiful dress is Bai people as me.

Have a happy tour in China!!

Anonymous said...

Jules anything is easy for you to get lost in! Looks like your having too good of a time- come home we can live together!